Monday, January 12, 2009

January update

Greetings from Istanbul - the one and only city in the world that lies on two continents Europe and Asia.

It has been a pretty busy season with Christmas programs everywhere and our English club Christmas show preparation. In a way Christmas is celebrated here more than in many Chr. countries... not openly of course. You won't see many Christmas lights or people with gift bags around but everyone watches the news and is curious about “Noel” so every church in the city uses this season to draw people's attention to the reason of the holiday that the whole world is celebrating. I have been to at least four Christmas shows open for all and many Turks attended.
Now, finished with the Christmas celebrations we are at the last week of the first semester at the English club. Our school as well as any other school in Turkey will have a two week holiday. We call it a half year holiday since there are no Christmas or New year breaks and technically it's not appropriate to call it “winter holiday” since it is +10C outside at the moment.
The kids seem to have learned so much in these four months and it's amazing to see how much they have changed. Those of you who have kids or work with children probably know that they are not angels as the world has it. So everyday there are so many things to be grateful to God for. For example today I was amazed when my most stubborn student volunteered to pray at lunch. She has never done it before and was not very confident in praying but I know God honored her eagerness and it filled my heart with joy and gratitude.

At the end of the week I will be traveling to Russia – to visit my relatives and renew my visa. I have a lot of plans for the next 2 weeks and I hope to be able to see my both grandmas who are 80 years of age. I have a feeling that God wants me to stay here in Turkey for more than one year so this may be the only opportunity for me to see my relatives in Novosibirsk this year.

As the first semester is coming to the end, a question about teachers for the next school year comes up. We know that at least three teachers will not stay at the English Club for the next school year and frankly speaking we are one person short even now. I know God takes special care of this school and will provide but I believe we need to inform the people we know about this need. If you know someone who might be interested in serving here please share my previous newsletter with them and don't hesitate to gove them my email address. There are no special qualifications required for a native speaker – just some experience in education ( sunday school for example) and genuine love for God and for children .

Please join me in thanksgiving to the Lord for the answers to prayer:
Children's progress in English and godly attitudes
He provided a way for me to go to Russia for 2 weeks
He has been faithful in bringing people I can minister to in my own language
The Lord continues to provide for all my needs according to His riches

Please join me in prayer for:
students of the English Club during this break when they will be seeing their non believing or Muslim relatives and friends
teachers for the English Club for the next school year
my trip to Russia - “outreach” to relatives and friends there
my Moldavian friends Sasha and Lyuba – growing closer to God in the midst of their trials
diligence in language studies